From the moment we planted our tomatoes in the spring, we have been waiting for our first red, ripe delicious tomato, but someone has beaten us to them.
We suspect the culprit is a groundhog. We can't seem to catch him doing the actual crime, so we have reenacted the offense with a simulated groundhog.
Here is our simulated groundhog leaving his hole.
Here's our first summer tomato salad made with our own sweet tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil.
Recipe for tomato salad:
- 8-12 medium size tomatoes cut into bit size chunks
- 1 medium size cucumber sliced the way you like it
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 fresh picked leaves of basil torn into quarters
- 1 tbl. dried oregano
- drizzle a liberal amount of olive oil over the salad
- add salt and pepper to taste
- toss and serve with a crusty loaf of bread!